Happy New Year folks, it’s a beautiful sunny day in Downtown Corpus Christi and the temperature is steadily rising. It is still cold by South Texas standards but the ArtWalk will go ahead as usual from 5:30 pm til 9pm this evening.
With the holidays just over information on the event is a little scarce but you can be assured that most of the bricks and mortar participants and many of the open air vendors in La Retama Park will be open for business tonight so wrap up well and come on Downtown to support their efforts.
Here are the highlights for the October ArtWalk:
La Retama park:
- Jesse Hernandez, Sun Dance, 2D.
- Ritz Theater:
- Buddy Trevino and Lady Katherine
House of Rock:
- Stuff Music Video Screening and After show with Ultrasuede blues band from Beaumont TX
The Kids Fun Zone:
- this month features: the Red Cross on hand to do face painting and Brent Norman with One Fit Culture will be doing Dream Boards with the kids. The Zombie Dance Squad returns this year and the kids will love getting face painted as zombies in the Kids Fun Zone, and then catch the performance at 6:45 p.m. in La Retama Park!
- will be open 5:30 – 9:30 with art by Texas A&M students
The Art Center of Corpus Christi
- Alex Cooper will host an “Artist in Action” demonstration of his work at the opening reception for his exhibit on Friday, October 4th at 6:30pm at the Art Center. The solo exhibit will be on display at the Art Center of Corpus Christi from September 29 through October 30. Join us for this amazing exhibit, meet the artists, and experience the art of music first hand!
South Texas Underground Film Festiva:
- October 3rd thru 6th offersmultiple screening venues, workshops, live music, and more.
Science & History Museum
- will be making our own motorcycle goggles to go along with our new motorcycle exhibit. The craft will go on from 7:00-8:30.
Water Street Market
- Sue Donahoe will be conducting Walking Tours of the South Texas Music Walk of Fame. Will do this 15 minute walk around the WaterStreet Market three times during Art Walk Friday at 6, 7, & 8pm
Treehouse Art Collective
- Milton Kramer, our featured artist, is 83 years old and still paints every day. He will be in the gallery during ArtWalk.
Atelier International Art Gallery:
- will be exhibiting the exceptional artwork of Sarah Sherrill Ayala. The art exhibition, “Tinged” will be displayed during ArtWalk night from 5:30pm to 9:00pm. In the words of the artist, “Tinged” is a culmination of my innermost thoughts, feelings and experiences connected to Mexico. The common thread seen throughout my work is the land. Each piece can be viewed as an abstract landscape infused with memories from my past. Throughout our lives, we are surrounded by rich imagery. This adding of something to ourselves-we may accept it or let it pass; but as soon as we are ready it will come to us by impulse, from the very breathing of our life.” Come and join us for refreshments and fantastic art.
- will have music by The Blind Owls
Basic piercings $25.00 jewerly included
All t-shirts $10.00
Always great refreshments
- will have Hors d’oeuvre and refreshments up stairs with music outside by “Pete Devlin and The Texas Moon
K Space Contemporary:
- Third Coast National: 7th annual juried exhibition of contemporary art from across the United States continues thru October 18th.
Art Museum of South Texas
- Open for Oct. 4 ArtWalk – Miller Building only
- on view:
- Mexican Folk Art from the Boeckman Collection, Tyler Museum of Art
- September 26 – December 29, 2013½Kane and Chapman Gallery
- This exhibition showcases approximately 60 pieces of Mexican Folk Art collected over the last two decades from every state in Mexico with a focus on those created in the late 1980s to the present. During this time Mexico had been going through dramatic changes that challenged traditions and forced adaptation to the new era. Both historic and contemporary influences are evidenced in these works. The collection, one of the nation’s largest, was given to the Tyler Museum of Art in Tyler, Texas by Laura and Dan Boeckman of Dallas.
- will have live music from Chris Saenz 7 til 11pm
Crossfit Metro 361:
- Community CrossFit with us On ArtWalk Friday at 630pm. Come join the fun at 401 South Water Street 361.739.4417
Peace of Mind Massage Therapy & Natural Healing:
- letting people know we NOW offer all Green Eco friendly Manicures and Pedicures and introducing them to Chinese Cupping Massage (form of acupuncture) along with a wine testing for our wines that will be put on our spa menu and we will have snacks till they last along with day of the dead items for sale and a sign up sheet for our breast cancer awareness team and information on the Zombie Walk for CASA.
- will be open and will have music by Buddy Trevino and Lady Katherine.
Coffee Waves Downtown theme is underwater photography:
- “Hope Wheeler has always had a passion for aquatic life and underwater preservation. During
- her early childhood, she would spend countless hours on and in the Gulf of Mexico waters off
- the coast of Florida with her father Douglas, which later in life solidified her decision to join the
- United States Navy. Over the past fifteen years while serving in the Navy and touring various
- duty stations around the world, she was afforded many diving opportunities’. It was during that
- time that Hope attained and perfected her skills as a highly trained PADI Master Scuba Diver
- and Digital Underwater Photographer, (specializing in macro and landscape scenery) along
- with an additional six PADI Diver specialties and began to create her vast underwater portfolio,
- to include underwater images from locations such as Japan, South America, Africa and other
- various dive sites across the globe.
- Hope now continues her busy Navy career and makes time to dive regularly off the Texas Gulf
- Coast every moment she can do so. She is also the owner of Hope’s Underwater Photography
- Studio and stays very active by volunteering with various coral restorations and aquatic
- preservation education projects world- wide and locally.
- Underwater Photography Studio
- Corpus Christi, Texas
- 1-(361)-356-1107: by appointment”